Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Be careful what you ask for....

Late morning view from McAfee Knob
Heading out of Pearisburg, VA today after a night in a hotel to dry out and let my feet rest. Wet feet and 20+ mile days start to do weird and painful things to my body. Had a glorious evening on McAfee Knob.
Me on the Knob.
Managed to get to the Pig Farm campsite about a mile short of the knob with enough time to set up camp and still hike up to the summit with all my cooking gear/dinner. Slightly hazy and very colorful sunset while eating a Knorr pasta side with Spam made a perfect end to a day. Don't laugh about the Spam; 250 calories in 6 ounces of weight is magical. Watching the moonrise about 15 minutes later was just the dessert I needed. Night hiked back down to camp and still managed to get up early enough to have some coffee with dawn on the knob the next morning. Glad I took the time because it has been nothing but rain and long days since then. I was asking for rain and cooler weather but just not at the same time!!! Should be wandering on again... miles to make before I sleep.


p.s. don't look if feet gross you out but this is why the trail is more than just "a really long walk". You got to love it to do it.

Left out the pics of the other side of this foot, the toes, the other foot, and well you get the idea. I'm bleeding for y'all so show me some love and comment. Let me know your out there.


8 comments:

  1. Love the pictures of the knobb could have done without the foot blister :) I am glad that although rain-soaked you are getting what you asked for out of this experience. Things here are status quo...Parker is sick with a fever and I am getting fatter every day. Kenley Alette is scheduled to arrive on December 30th (I am 90% with the name...what do you think?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like kick ass foot bash to me but I am into medical terminology. Walk with happiness. Thank you for the pictures from the Knob. Way pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all rooting for ya! I'm sure we can rustle up a wheelchair once you get back and give you a day or so off your feet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had clear weather for McAfee Knob! It was one of my favorite places in the South. Of course, sunset, 3am meteor shower and sunrise at Avery Peak (on Bigelow in ME), was great, too.

    - Zen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh don't bleed for us! Remember the rest of what you're bleeding for, breast cancer treatment and prevention for migrant women. (OK, yes that was another plug to sponsor AJ's hike for the cause- services to the migrant communities out of St. Joseph's Breast Center in Tampa.) Search this blog or email for details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That moment with you on McAfee Knob might be in itself well worth the crazy long walk..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love your pictures!! I hope your feet heal soon---we are all cheering for you. Miss you, but go find another sunset and SMILE!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what dedication!! Just finished my last round of medicine, 26 infusions every 2 weeks for 1 year, DONE! My treatments were numbered so that my days were not. Keep up the walking. There are so many other women out there with breast cancer who will benifit from your walk, I wish they all had sons like you. Joan

    ReplyDelete