Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Some older stuff

Here are a few thoughts, scribbles, and ruminations from my first couple weeks on the trail. They are from my journal so please excuse the rambling nature of some. These were mostly written at the end of long trail day huddle in a shelter or my tent.

Day 1 May 23
     Only 7.6 miles to the Ed Garvey shelter after being dropped off by Lynn, Matt, Cole and Mahalia. Rained the whole way up the trail and feet are soaked through along with everything else. I did manage to get lost in the 1st two miles. The trail from the ATC goes down through Harper's Ferry, crosses the Potomac, and follows the C & O tow path. At the bottom of the path you can take a right or a left. After check the map and just assuming it was orientated N/S I took the left. After about a 1/2 mile a guy stops in the rain on the road next to the path and yells out his window at me. It's raining hard enough that I can't here him at all. He then jumps out in the rain a walks to the guard rail to tell me, "You're going the wrong way!" Laughed at myself and wandered back the way I had come. 1st lesson from the trail: Listen the advice of random strangers because they might be right. Finally on the right path I bumped into a older gentlemen walking along the tow path. He asked it I was doing a thru-hike, and feeling a bit sheepish considering I'd only put in 4 miles so far, I told him yes. After that we got to chatting and he spent the next few miles telling me all about the history of the C&O canal and the train the now runs parallel to where it used to be. His pace was a bit slower than mine but the conversation was too interesting to pass up. He walked me to where the trail crossed the road and wished me good luck. Lesson #2 Slowing down might make your day a little longer but it leads to very interesting conversations.

Day 3 20.2 miles May 26
      Out of Maryland today and into PA. Don't know what the hell I was thinking trying to do this many miles. I've been hiking with "El Jefe" for the last day and a half. After our failed off trail excursion for a burger and a beer yesterday I guess we felt like trying to get to civilisation sooner. They really should put the fact that the bar a mile off the trail is CLOSED on Mondays. Need to make the miles so that I can make it to Boiling Springs before the post office closes for the holiday weekend. If not then I'm stuck there for 2 zero days. Got my first blister today. Guess this means I'm a true hiker now... Stopped just over the border into PA and found a nice spot by a stream. Another big day tomorrow so off to bed at hiker midnight. (9:00 pm).

Day 5 18.5 miles May 28
     Too tired to write yesterday. Hiked from 6:30 to 8:30 yesterday. I now know why they call it Rocksylvania. Blisters on both of my feet now. I've named the one on my right foot "Sisyphus" because it's on the ball of foot and it is punishing as roll up the trail. This is what happens when you spend 14 hours in 85 degree heat hiking by yourself. Stay at the quarry rock shelter now. By far the nicest shelter yet. Flower boxes and a little stream past the front of the shelter. Looks like a nice night with no bugs so I think I'll cowboy camp it tonight. Still on schedule for making it to Boiling Springs for my food drop.

June 1st
In Duncannon, PA for the night tonight.  Got rescued from the thunderstorm/tornado warning tonight by Vicky at the Doyle Hotel. Was planning on staying at the campground but once the weather report came on Vicky offered me a room. $25 was not in the budget but she let me stay for the 7.50 extra person rate so how could I refuse! Just made me promise not to tell any of the other hikers. Still planning on my first zero day tomorrow. My feet need some rest and a chance to heal.

June 2nd
Half way through my first zero day and I'm going nuts. Thought that loneliness would be a problem but the hiker community is amazing. The folks on the trail and  in town are just fun, sweet, kind people. It feels a little like a wandering summer camp/party with periods of intense discomfort in between. Still with all that said I want to be moving again!? Nice to rest and chill with everyone here but the drive to see what's next, to make miles, and just keep going is strong. I am absolutely loving this!!!

2 comments:

  1. When your done, you could write the 'watering hole' guide to the AT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freaking brilliant idea!! How to pub crawl the entire AT.

    ReplyDelete