Monday, July 5, 2010

Farmer Apple Juice

I can now add "Farmer" to my resume. I'm staying at Moon in the Pond farm outside of Sheffield, MA through tonight. The owner Dominic invites folks to work for stay. It's a beautiful organic meat and produce farm in the Berkshires. You get a place to tent, shower, laundry, and food in exchange for helping out on the farm. Yesterday, I fed chickens, ducks, turkeys, pigs, and a calf. This was just the morning chores before breakfast! Afternoon was driving stakes for tomatoes, i.e. 50 or so, then it was off to pick up hay bales from a neighbors farm. 4 of us collected and stacked around 240 bales. Trust me that is a fair amount of work. Evening before dinner you have to get the chickens, turkeys, etc back into their respective homes. Joe, one the workers here says I have a talent for turkey wrangling. Dinner is all stuff from the farm and plenty of it. Steak, potatoes and raspberry custard Having a lovely time and the invitation to stay longer stands but I need to get back on the trail. I could easily end up staying longer than intended if I don't get out now. Too much really good food and great company. Thanks to all the follower that have pledged. I keep ya'll updated as I get north.

No comments:

Post a Comment